Posted by: k | October 4, 2007

Hectic, hectic, hectic

Well, it’s nearly 4pm, and I think I’d be lucky if I’ve been home for an hour at this point. I’ve been out since 8am this morning!

First of all, I went down to the Salvation Army centre to help out with the market day stall, like I used to before I started working full-time. Mum and I used to go every Thursday. One of our family friends is the centre manager, and we all get along really well. It was also (another) family friend’s 80th birthday, and he cooks the sausage sizzle… so before anyone arrived the manager (who is his daughter-in-law) got out some balloons and Happy Birthday banners and put them up outside the centre, and also put a chalkboard next to the BBQ with “Happy 80th John” in big letters on it. When he arrived, he was speechless. It was awesome. Once we packed up the stall, we all went inside and had some cake! I also got to have a sausage for breakfast… like I used to all the time… it was great!

Then Mum and I went home and got Dad, and took him down to pick up his plane ticket, and had a bit of a look around the shops, which was nice, because the 3 of us never go out together.

Mum and I then dropped Dad off at home and went down to the local shopping centre to pick up food for dinner, and some toiletries for Dad. We got him shaving cream (in a tube), toothpaste, a small bottle of aftershave, and Mum got some hair clippers to cut his hair before he goes. She had a pair, but they stopped working on Dad’s hair, which is really thick… we ended up going to about 4 different shops to try and find the clippers, including the store I used to work at. People I used to work with are still there, and as soon as I walked in one of them yelled out “HI KELLY!” and waved. Turns out it was my ‘arch nemesis’… we couldn’t stand each other, and tried to dodge doing shifts together… well, I got out of working with her, since I was casual and she was permanent, but still…

One thing we had to pick up while we were out was a sympathy card, because a guy we knew passed away from a massive heart attack on Sunday. Mum voiced my opinion on this – “I wish people would stop fucking dying!” It seems lately that so many people are passing away, relatives, friends, people that other people know… it’s crazy.

So that is my day in a nutshell. I originally took a couple of days off work to get my college assignments done, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I’ll get started on one tomorrow… but I don’t know how much I’m going to get done.

PS. Dad’s definitely leaving on Saturday. His 25 hour (!) flight leaves at 1pm, but he needs to check in before 10.30am, so we’re dropping him off at the train station to catch the 9.30 train straight to the airport. We don’t know how long he’s going to be gone, but I don’t think it will be as long as we think, considering my Nan seems to be deteriorating pretty quick. Yesterday, she went to get out of bed unassisted, and (literally) fell flat on her face… and scraped herself up. They took x-rays, nothing’s broken, but it definitely looks like they’re not going to let her go home now, they’re probably just going to move her to a hospital closer to home.

I’m currently trying to teach my dad how to use my digital camera, because I thought he’d like to take it with him. I might take a photo of the rosary beads we got. I also bought an adorable little teddy this morning.. it’s holding a balloon that says “love you loads”.



  1. Yikes, he’s leaving this Saturday? Big hugs to you and everyone, I’m sure things are going to be okay. *smoosh*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: